2011_12.html



Poisons and Toxins

While reacting in our bodies in various ways, poisons and toxins alike are just not good for us!  The problem is we live in an increasingly toxic and poisonous environment.

While we cannot completely control the current strain of virus or bacteria that are floating around, there are areas of exposure that we do have control over.  Substances like tobacco, alcohol and recreational drugs are extremely poisonous, killing brain cells, harming the liver and other organs and contributing to the development of cancer.  Think of the chemical products we put on our skin, use in our homes or add to our food.  While many of these chemicals are used in small amounts, there is a synergetic effect—the little bits add up, especially in children’s small bodies!

We cook food in plastic containers in microwave ovens, drink water and beverages that has been packaged in plastic bottles and eat foods that have been sprayed by insecticides and have chemical additives to enhance flavour and extend shelf life as well take a host of medications with various side effects—not to mention the exhaust from our cars and the industrial waste that ends up in the atmosphere and water.  The past century has seen the proliferation of industrial products with their by-products that all add to the poisonous and toxic load that our bodies deal with on any given day. Some of these substances actually build up in the fat cells of our bodies as we experience prolonged exposure to them!  

With this, western eating habits have gravitated, through industry design, toward using highly refined foods, which also further complicates our bodies ability to function at its best and stay disease free.  A new phenomenon developing in western countries is non-alcohol related cirrhosis of the liver. This serious condition is being called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. The progressive development of this condition is almost without symptoms and in its later stages the only treatment is liver transplant.

While we may not be able to control everything, there are many things that we can:

  • Discard the use of poisonous and addictive substances for recreational purposes, replacing them with healthful things.


  • Give more attention to the chemical products we are using on our bodies and in our homes and use glass instead of plastic to cook in the microwave.


  • Drink enough water so our bodies’ cleansing mechanisms can function properly (5 to 7 glasses a day, depending on the weather and other factors.  Generally, if the urine is dark and concentrated, more water should be consumed.  Remember, soft drinks are very high in sugar, a standard serving of most of the popular drinks have about 12-15 teaspoons of sugar in them. These cannot take the place of water and have a disasterous affect on our blood chemistry, immune system, brain and other organs.)

  • Replace refined foods with whole, unrefined foods wherever possible.  Getting enough dietary fibre is extremely important to keeping our internal works clean and functioning properly. Not only does it increase the transit time of waste through the intestinal tract, thus decreasing the possibility of colon cancer, but a high fibre diet tends to help bind poisonous and toxic substances and carry them out of the body, decreasing our overall internal exposure.


  • Take a shower every day. Our bodies are expelling wastes through the pours of our skin and washing them away will prevent them being reabsorbed and causing further burden on our internal organs. But be aware of the chemical composition of the toiletry products being used during and after showering.


  • Keep the air in our homes and sleeping rooms as fresh and clean as possible. There are filter units available to purchase that can help filter the air in the home, but along with this it is important to be aware of the air exchange, the air in our homes needs to be kept fresh and oxygen filled to be healthful. There is also the issue of radon gas build-up to be considered. There are radon testers that can be acquired from various sources to test the home for build-ups of this poisonous gas. Make sure your boiler is vented properly and if you are using any device for heating that uses oxygen to burn, and produces exhaust gases, be aware of the needs these devices have for proper ventilation.

For more information:

http://www.emeraldhef-ie.org

See also:

 http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/healthpromotion/